APEC Economy: New Zealand

As of December 2011, no response had been received from New Zealand to the APEC Accounting Services Initiative questionnaire. Limited information from publicly available sources is provided below.

Accountancy Services – General background

In New Zealand, provision of accountancy services requires a license from both a regulatory body and a professional accounting body

The provision of the following accountancy services requires a license from a regulatory body:

Licensing Requirements

Legislation and overarching regulatory body not specified.

If intending to offer accounting services to the public, a Certificate of Public Practice (CPP) must be obtained. Chartered Accountant membership is a prerequisite to holding a Certificate of Public Practice.

Applying for a Certificate of Public Practice (CPP)

To apply for a CPP, applicants need to complete the following forms and pay the CPP application fee. Applicants need two character references to complete an application.

The following details will also assist in assessing an CPP application:

Practitioner support

If establishing a sole practice or your experience is outside a public practice environment, applicants need an experienced public practitioner to support them during the first year of practice.

The purpose of the practitioner-support relationship is to provide guidance and support on ethical, professional, technical and practice management issues as a new practice is established.

A  Practitioner Support Agreement Form must be submitted.

Licensing of Foreign Nationals

A foreign accountant can obtain a license to provide limited accountancy services in this economy.

There are specific restrictions or requirements relating to education and experience (other than nationality or residency) that limit the ability of foreign nationals or residents to become fully licensed local accountants in this economy. The minimum level of education is a university degree in accounting that includes related subjects such as auditing, commercial law, company law and taxation.  As part of the application for membership, and to then obtain a licence, the foreign accountants must apply for recognition of overseas study and qualifications as part of their application process.

Limited Licence

Unable to determine.

Professional Accounting Bodies

A separate license is required from the local professional body in order to provide professional accountancy services in this economy.

There is one recognised professional accounting bodies in this economy:


New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants


Tower Building, 50 Customhouse Quay

Address 2:

PO Box 11342





ZIP/ Postcode:



New Zealand

Email address:


Phone number:
Fax number:

+64 4474 7848
+64 4460 0394



Levels of membership:

  • Student Affiliate
  • Chartered Accountant
  • Associate Chartered Accountant
  • Accountant Technician
  • Public Practitioner

Alliances & MOUs

NZICA has mutual recognition agreements with the following overseas accounting bodies:

  • Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA)
  • Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
  • Chartered Accountants Ireland
  • Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS)
  • South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
  • Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA)
  • Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA)
  • US International Qualifications Appraisal Board (IQAB) representing the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) and the American institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
  • Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT UK)
  • Hong Kong Institute of Accredited Accounting Technicians (HKIAAT)

NZICA has partial exemption arrangements with the following overseas accounting bodies:

  • CPA Australia
  • Association of Certified Chartered Accountants (ACCA)
  • Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI)
  • The Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA)

Full details and application forms are available from:

Temporary practice arrangements

There is no express rule allowing temporary practice in this economy.

Rules on firms and commercial association

In this economy:

Other regulatory issues

Unable to determine.

Additional information relevant to the Accounting profession

Unable to determine.

Contact Details

Unable to determine.